Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Does love last??????

I was having burger with my friend on friendship day and our conversation sort of drifted to .... infedility and morals. She is getting married in some time and I popped her a question --What if few years down the line, one of you falls out of love. What then? What about that everlasting aspect of love. What one actually does is actually dependent on each person and the relationship that one shares but does there exists love that is immortal.

I don’t think we really were able to answer anything as my question was so sudden but it set me thinking. I kept thinking over it for a long long time and started jotting down whatever to try and make sense of a scary reality. I think that many of us confuse words like love with liking. There is one hell of a difference in liking and loving. Liking is just an initial attraction. Can result in anything.

But love is far denser and long termed. Long term doesn’t mean forever because when you fall in love, it is mostly with a particular attribute of a person. Anything actually – beauty, voice, persona, money, simplicity or anything. Basically something which is the reason for connection. With time, people change, yet few relations remain and few don’t.
The reason I realized is simple. Any relation can survive the test of time as long as that particular attribute or group of attributes remain somewhat constant.

To elaborate eg. If A loves B for beauty, and with time it diminishes in B, eventually A would move on. Similarly if someone loves for simplicity and if the other person becomes someone else with time, love is lose completely. In this case, with time even if the person looks bad, smells horrible or is poor, doesn’t really matter as long as that quality of simplicity remains with time.

It feels quiet a relief to understand this bit though I didn’t know it till I started writing. One confusion less

Wisely Yours

No comments: