Monday, July 13, 2009

In Between flicking the channels

It’s been quiet some time that I had decided not to watch those heavy emotional, change oriented and super hopeful movies. The inspirational kind basically. I had been lately feeling that these movies impart no wisdom except delusions and illusions to people who want to believe them. But as they say, we end up doing things we never never want to.
Here begins my story…Yesterday (not giving any date because it could be any and doesn’t really matters as don’t want to get caught in frivolous details) so where was I, Yesterday between flipping channels watching Friends’ reruns and a match and a music channel, I stumbled on HBO to catch the 9pm schedule. And there it was, the movie “Freedom Writers” (starring Hilary Swank and Patrick Dempsey). I don’t know what caught my attention - Was it the challenge of a young female teacher with a demanding personal life to teach a bunch of hooligans on one hand and fight a system standing rock solid on the other. Or was it the transition that awaited each kid. Or was it that rebel in each student streamlined for a bigger cause. Or a pie of hope or my secret and now not so secret passion to teach or.. and there could be many such Ors I can write. No none of these could have retained my interest for long had it not been the simplicity with which there was an “I don’t know” in the background and such shakey confidence and enthusiasm on the face despite critical and life threatening situations. I completely loved the contradiction. The oxymoron. And reminded me of so many things including life. The beauty lied in change, courage to change and the will to make the change happen. It made me again revisit the “I don’t know” concept. Something I more or less believe in life. Yes, “I don’t know” if things always change for good or not but at least its better than resisting them or cribbing or just giving up. Basically sometimes, I guess it’s not such a bad idea to catch on movies like these. They catch more that just the eye.

Watchfully yours’

No comments: